APPLICATION DEADLINE: August 1, 2015 5:00pm (Eastern Standard Time, USA)
NOTIFICATION: Applicants will be notified of the review panel decision by the end of October, 2015.
RESIDENCY & TOUR DATES: February 21 - March 23, 2016
CONTACT: If you have questions, please contact
Applicants must be between 19 and 40 year old during the program dates (spring 2016).
Eligible Countries and Territories
India, Pakistan, United States
Important Information for Applicants:
Musicians from all backgrounds are encouraged to apply, with or without formal musical training. We welcome music of all genres, including but not limited to: traditional/folk, hip hop, experimental, electronic, jazz, classical, sound design, beat-making, multimedia art, or any combination of these styles. In additional to full-time professional musicians, we also invite adventurous musicians who double as community organizers, instrument builders, writers, videographers, musicologists, educators, storytellers, dancers, shadow-puppeteers, and more.
What you should know about Dosti:
- Collaboration is central. Dosti offers musicians the opportunity to collaborate on new projects and to explore new musical traditions. Rather than showcasing solo talent, Dosti musicians will work together across stylistic and cultural divides in pursuit of new musical possibilities.
- Dosti is socially engaged. We are looking for musicians who have a strong commitment to their communities and who are seeking new ways to engage in youth development, music education, music therapy, conflict resolution, a global dialogue through music, and other ways of working towards more egalitarian and democratic societies.
- Dosti is a FREE program (but not a paid gig). The Dosti program covers all Fellows' travel, transportation, food, and lodging. We also offer a modest stipend. While we are not able to pay performance fees, Dosti offers Fellows a chance to create new material, establish lifelong musical partnerships and friendships, learn new marketable skills, tour the US, and develop professional connections.
Audio/Video Application Materials:
Applicants should plan to write about their musical background and interests as well as future projects and goals. Applicants will be asked to submit 3-5 samples of their solo and collaborative work (both audio and video are accepted).
- Musical Excellence - A high level of performance, composition, improvisational, production and/or technological skill. Ideally Dosti musicians will be innovating stylistically, lyrically, or technologically within their musical worlds.
- Collaboration - Applicants' willingness to reach across cultural and musical divides in creating original music or re-interpreting traditional music, while respecting the essence of each tradition. Applicants should be prepared to try new things musically.
- Social Engagement - Musicians who have used music to serve their communities or greater societies. This might consist of guiding young people in music education, addressing social or political issues through musical content, reviving dying musical traditions, and more.
- Age - Applicants must be between 19-40 years old.
- English Proficiency - Applicants should be able to converse in and understand basic English, as it will be the common language of the Dosti program.
- Country or Territory of Origin - Dosti Fellows must currently live full-time in either India, Pakistan or the United States. We also seek applicants who have not traveled extensively to the U.S. or have rarely performed in the U.S.
- Internet Proficiency - Whenever possible, Dosti Fellows should actively use email and be able to connect to the internet to participate in Dosti website-based activities.